Dental Office Front Desk Receptionist
Lexington Park, Maryland
- High School diploma; customer service background in dental practice preferred
Duties and Responsibilities
- Front Desk Receptionists are our first point of contact with our patients and at all times are to be friendly and attentive to their needs. Front Desk Receptionists are responsible for front desk coordination of patient flow and financial activities. Maintains reception area and inventory control of office supplies, patient literature and all related items.
- Manage incoming and outgoing telephone calls
- Verify and update all patient demographic data (including e-mail addresses and cell phone numbers) on the patient’s chart and in the computer
- Make a copy of insurance card and verify insurance coverage and eligibility prior to treatment
- Control and schedule patient appointments; check the appointment waiting list daily and contact patients as required; confirm patient appointments and check off patients’ name if they have been contacted; ensure the next day’s schedule is filled for the Providers and that patients arrive and are seated on time
- Prepare charts and schedules for the following day for each operatory
- Ensure that parents accompany minors for appointments
- Confirm appointments
- Remind a patient of pre-medication requirements if applicable
- Verify with Dental Assistants that prosthetics cases have been sent to and returned from the labs if applicable prior to confirming appointment with patient
- Review all patient records for signatures on health histories, consent forms and financial policy
- Ensure that parent or legal guardian sign consent for minors
- Maintain control of all patient payments and insurance statements; reinforce the financial policy of the office and ensure payments are current
- Enter transactions and post payments at time of patient check-in and/or check-out
- Make any notes on the patient’s chart or in computer that may help others to provide better service
- Document patient grievance when necessary
- Assist Dental Assistants with calls to patients after difficult treatment
- Assist in directing patient recall system; send notices and telephone patients who have not been contacted; send broken appointment cards
- Maintain office-filing system for patient records; pull charts when necessary and file completed tasks
- Maintain Patient/Community bulletin boards
- Ensure adequate supplies are always available
- Maintain Specialty Referral forms
- Manage voice-mail messages
Office Management Controls
- Receives general supervision from the Front Desk Supervisor, Assistant Office Manager, Office Manager, and/or Dental Director as well as guidance regarding unusual problems, emergencies or new situations. The Front Desk Receptionist is required to maintain a consistent professional demeanor while being subjected to periodic high levels of pressure.
- The Front Desk Receptionist should greet patients/parents in a positive and professional manner at all times and have the capability to fill the Providers’ schedules for maximum productivity.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.