Dental Assistant / Surgical Assistant
POSITION TYPE: Dentistry
SPECIALTY UNIT: Dental Assistant / Surgical Assistant
LOCATION: Harrisburg, PA
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Permanent
The Surgical Assistant is receiving patients, viewing charts, and beginning patient preparation. Often the assistant will make notes about performed procedures, progress, recommendations, and other subjects in the patient’s charts. Surgical assistants must ensure that surgical tools are thoroughly cleaned and sterilized before procedures begin.
Working with x-rays is common, as is processing items such as removable dental appliances and casts or impressions. Surgical assistants do not perform any actual surgery upon patients, but they may be responsible for tasks such as checking vital signs or maintaining IV fluid flows during procedures.
· In an emergency situation react quickly to change/assemble equipment such as full-face mask, laryngoscope, endotracheal tubes, etc.
· Handle all substances in accordance with Health and Safety policies
· Setting up and preparing the surgery before the start of each session
· Clean and disinfect all equipment and working surfaces to the required standards at the end of each session
· Keep the clinical areas and all equipment and instruments clean, tidy and sterile as appropriate according to the practice’s health and safety and infection control procedures and manufacturers’ instructions
· Use all equipment and machinery in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations and ensure that they are maintained regularly and in good working order
· Provide chairside assistance, ensuring that the correct equipment is available
· Always ensure the care and welfare of patients in a friendly, helpful and courteous manner
· Accurately complete patient clinical records as directed
· Perform chaperoning duties for dentists, hygienists/therapists when treating patients
· Be familiar and comply with all Health and Safety rules and guidance infection control, and ensure safe disposal of sharps and clinical waste
· Complete laboratory request forms, keep records of work sent, received and fitted
· Ensure adequate stocks of materials and other items within the surgery
· Ensure computer/written records are accurately maintained and securely stored
· Liaise with reception to ensure smooth patient communications and transfer of records
· Other duties as necessary for the efficient operation of the practice, including the duties and tasks of receptionist as required
· Assist in keeping clean the surfaces, sinks, floors of the surgeries and common areas of the practice reception, office, and staff room
· Needs to anticipate the Doctor in being one step ahead of him/her knowing what he/she will need so the surgery runs smoothly
· Knowledge of all emergency algorithms, medications and equipment
· Able to take x-rays: Panorex and Periapicals
· We offer an excellent base salary plus incentive compensation, along with health, dental, vision, life, STD/LTD insurance, participation in a 401k plan and up to 4 weeks paid time off.
· 2 years of Oral Surgical Assistant experience
· Some prosthodontic experience
· Experience working with IV sedated patients and training in emergency procedures preferred but not a requirement
· Certified as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Assistant by the D.A.N.B.
· X-Ray License required