POSITION TYPE: Dental Lab
SPECIALTY UNIT: Dental Laboratory Technician – Ceramist dept. Manager
LOCATION: Topeka, KS
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Permanent
Our team is growing, and we are hiring a number of key positions within our organization including this opportunity for a Department Manager – Porcelain.
This is a full-time position featuring employee benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and sick time; 401K; and tuition reimbursement!
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions of the Position:
- Manages and maintains staff by selecting, orienting, and training team members.
- Provide leadership and supervision of all aspects and functions in the Porcelain Department, ensuring product quality, profitable unit sales growth, and overall team development. Communicates job expectations; develops team member goals, planning, monitoring, and appraising team members; coaching, counseling, and disciplining team members; develops, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
- Maintains quality service by enforcing quality standards.
- Works closely with the General Manager and collaborates with other Department Leaders to manage overall lab productivity in meeting Company goals.
- Coordinates the efforts of team members to ensure that workflow, productivity, and quality requirements are met.
- Continuous improvement activities to improve the performance of the Company.
- Effective communication between all departments, skill groups, and team members. Creates a positive work environment in which team members can succeed.
- Optimizes workload balance between department and team members. Has good working knowledge of all department work functions.
- Manage the work systems and materials that produce products at the lowest possible cost while maintaining superior product quality.
- Stays current on customer service issues with clients and relates back to managers and team members to resolve issues effectively.
- Can personally perform all QC functions in the department.
- Tracks and addresses remake issues and coordinate resolution on those issues with department managers and team members.
- Makes final determinations on hard rules for doctor preferences and standards.
- Participates in Company-sponsored training and meetings as required, and participates and presents at dental meetings as required.
- Be a resource for budget planning, working with General Manager to develop and maintain budgets.
- Lead and participate with special projects as required.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- High level of oral and written communication skills to effectively deal with internal and external customers. Strong communication skills (one on one, and in group situations) to clearly articulate a specific issue, or solution, to a problem. Additionally, ability to convey concerns to individuals with diplomacy and clarity.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong teamwork skills to be able to work closely with others within the ceramist team, as well as positive interaction with other laboratory team members, maintaining a positive customer focus, both internally and externally.
- High degree of familiarity with dental and laboratory procedures, processes, and terminology.
- Ability to read and interpret Rx’s and other documents, such as procedure manuals.
- Ability to multi-task (time management), and focus to handle many duties and projects at a time in a fast-paced deadline sensitive, ever-changing environment to deliver desired results. Ability to think “on your feet” and respond to issues that may present themselves.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and train team members.
- Self-starter with demonstrated initiative, self-motivation, and assertiveness.
- Must perform duties in an independent manner with minimal direction and supervision.
- Detail orientated to identify sub-standard work and diplomatically train for correction.
- Vision capabilities: depth perception, attention to detail, and/or color.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- Required: High school diploma or GED equivalent. Prefer a college degree or business-related college courses.
- 5 years experience within the dental lab production environment, with 5 years experience managing and motivating teams.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office products.