POSITION TYPE: Dentistry
SPECIALTY UNIT: Sterilization Technician
LOCATION: North Brunswick, NJ
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
- High School diploma
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the cleaning and orderliness of the sterilization room and all tray set-ups
- Maintain sterilizers
- Place all disinfected instruments in sterilization area
- Place new instrument set-ups on trays (mirror, explorer, syringe, gauze, etc.)
- All instrument cassettes should be properly stocked and arranged
- Sterilize hand pieces and wipe air water syringes clean
- Continuous monitoring of operatory supplies (there should never be a lack of mirrors, syringes, anesthetic, etc. in drawers)
- Once provided with impressions from the Chairside Dental Assistants or Provider, they must be poured up in plaster
- Patients’ names will be placed along-side of models until patients are dismissed, then lab scripts can be used instead; it is your responsibility to make sure that every model or case has a lab script with it. If not, you must advise the Chairside Dental Assistant, Clinical Coordinator or Provider immediately and wait until he/she provides a script for you to place
- Place impression trays in sterilization; then later clean with a brush
- Set-up materials/instruments necessary once a patient is seated (a list will be provided with the appropriate set-ups)
- Inform Chairside Dental Assistant and/or Provider of patient and procedure
- Offer help to Chairside Dental Assistants when work is completed or slow
- Assist with clerical duties when required
- Inform Clinical Coordinator or Office Manager of instrument and equipment malfunctions
- Monitor Medical Waste
- Ensure the Lathe machine is clean at all time; has plastic barriers and goggles
- Labels all containers, bottles and drawers
- Assists Office Manager when necessary performing other assigned duties
- Shares maintenance duties when and where able
- Logs-off computer at end of day
Office Management Controls
- Receives general supervision from Clinical Coordinator, Chairside Dental Assistant, Assistant Office Manager, Office Manager and/or Dental Director regarding unusual problems, emergencies or new situations and direct patient treatment supervision from the Provider
- Proper disinfected instruments and proper tray set-ups increases clinical efficiency
Scope and Effect
- Insure absolute cleanliness and sterilization of all dental instruments and related supplies
- Operatories adequately supplied with sterilized instruments at the start of and the end of each day
- Disinfect, bag and sterilize basic set-ups after every use
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position, either sitting or standing, for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, pushes, or drags boxes or equipment up to 20 lbs.
- Frequently moves inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Occasionally required to position self in a stooping, kneeling, or crouching manner.
- Frequently required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, machinery and computers.
- Frequently communicates with others and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Frequently operates a computer and other electronic equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Requires some flexibility in scheduling, such as the ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Competitive Salary
- Additional Sick Time